REFLECT on or RESPOND to your INQUIRY THREAD time
What is your reaction to your inquiry thread?
What connections are you making?
What are you excited about?
Reflect on how your experiences in your inquiry thread might impact the way you design your classroom activities.
23 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
For the opening activities I appreciate a more guided set of activities. It was difficult on Day one to just explore the various hands-on things.
For my students back at Foreman I think I'll start with the Racial Profiling activity developed by Rico Gutstein and crew and then let them explore a second project based on the theme of Fairness using the Chi Square statistic as the principal mathematical tool.
June 20, 2007
Diane Washington
Wednesday
Moos School
Reflection:
In the morning session, I enjoyed listening to Laurie reiterate the importance of community building. Also, she explained and modeled the differences between rituals and routines through various activities( Warp Speed/Group Jungle, Category and Line Up).
In the PM sessions, it was fun setting up a Blogg and learning how it can be used in a classroom.
Monday June 18, 2007 Day 1 of the Gear Up Inquiry Institute began with a warm up activity called Cultural Identity Bingo. This was an ice breaker and getting to know people. I loved this activity because it made me get up and talk to other people otherwise I would have just sat in my little group and only mingled with them. This made me realize we need to make sure we create activities in our classroom that will help students intermingle with other students.
I also loved when Laurie S. Frank said we need to practice what we want the students to model. For example, after working with our peers we always look at them and said, "Thank You for Working with Me." This is a skill that needs to be taught and I will use it in my classroom.
Tuesday, June 19 Reflection Laurie S. Frank said that we should have meetings and activities on Community Building for the first two weeks of school and they should last for 1 to 2 hours. I thought to myself, I would love to do this all year long, but how do I incorporate everything I need to accomplish without take time away from the minutes we are accountable for in our subject areas? I guess I'll find out soon.
Wed. June 20 Reflection:
I really enjoyed learning about Blogging. Cesar and Daniel are extremely knowledgeable on this subject. I was so excited when I realized we could create our own web page and we do not have to pay for this service. This is such a great tool to post what is happening in the classroom, homework, etc. I began to create my web page and hope to complete it as soon as possible.
I love all the great new ideas I am hearing and learning, I love talking to the wonderful people I have met. I am very excited.
I enjoyed this morning's activity on taking risk. I feel sometimes we are so afraid on taking risks that we don't try new things.
Thurs., June 22 Reflection:
Today's activities taught me a different way of frontlodading, asking questions,and capturing students attention through the arts. We looked at a picture, wrote down what we saw, then the instructor asked questions. The comments that were spoken were very objective. I was very discriptive in my writing and than I realized that there was no wrong or right answer.
I learned that the painting was painted on wet plaster called Fresco, it took 9 months for the Industry Mural to be created, Diego Rivera painted this during 1932-1933. Just imagine what kids will learn.
This activity will be great to engage my students in building a stronger community realizing there they are not being judge by what they see through the arts.
Post a Comment